Embracing the Code of Ethics developed through the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals, we work to raise awareness and continuously seek to engage in advocacy and education that elevates practical understanding of persons with disabilities as contributors to their community
Our success is measured in the number of people we can help with the quality programs and services we provide. These programs are fueled by our dedicated staff, caring volunteers and generous donors like you.
NADSP Code of Ethics for Direct Support Professionals
1. Person-Centered Supports. As a DSP, my first allegiance is to the person I support; all other activities and functions I perform flow from this allegiance.
2. Promoting Physical and Emotional Well-Being. As a DSP, I am responsible for supporting the emotional, physical, and personal wellbeing of the individuals receiving support. I will encourage growth and recognize the autonomy of the individuals receiving support while being attentive and energetic in reducing their risk of harm.
3. Integrity and Responsibility. As a DSP, I will support the mission and vitality of my profession to assist people in leading selfdirected lives and to foster a spirit of partnership with the people I support, other professionals, and the community.
4. Confidentiality. As a DSP, I will safeguard and respect the confidentiality and privacy of the people I support.
5. Justice, Fairness and Equity. As a DSP, I will promote and practice justice, fairness, and equity for the people I support and the community as a whole. I will affirm the human rights, civil rights and responsibilities of the people I support.
6. Respect. As a DSP, I will respect the human dignity and uniqueness of the people I support. I will recognize each person I support as valuable and help others understand their value.
7. Relationships. As a DSP, I will assist the people I support to develop and maintain relationships.
8. Self-Determination. As a DSP, I will assist the people I support to direct the course of their own lives.
9. Advocacy. As a DSP, I will advocate with the people I support for justice, inclusion, and full community participation.